The federal government is providing payments to Medicaid providers, including PCAs, for COVID-19 related costs. This can include lost income (due to fewer hours because of COVID-related issues), new expenses for things like PPE, child care or transportation that are COVID-related–or any other costs to prevent, prepare for, or respond to COVID-19.
We had expected the state of CT to apply on behalf of PCAs, but they have refused to do so, and thus PCAs will need to apply individually. To do this, you must use the application portal on the HHS website. It is a multi-step process, but step 1 of the application (the TIN Validation process) must be completed on or before Sunday September 13th. Note the following:
Please be advised that this information is to provide informal guidance to the 1199 membership on how to apply for Provider Relief Funds if you so choose but does not constitute legal advice.
- For Step 1 (the TIN Validation process) due September 13th, you will need to create an id to log in to the application process. See here for Step by Step instructions including screenshots.
- For future Steps (after the TIN Validation process), you will need to be able to do the following. See here for the overall steps
- upload your most recent tax form (from 2019, 2018, or 2017)
- say how much of your total income came from payments for PCA services (for instance, if all income came from PCA work, then you would say 100%). The amounts may already appear in the application form, or you may need to provide them.
- provide an estimate of any additional costs you have had or expect to have in the future, or any loss of income due to COVID-19 (for instance, if your hours were reduced because of a COVID-related issue. These can be estimates and do not need to be exact.
- note that most of the application is targeted to agencies and institutional providers. You do not need to answer these questions (just write NA).
Finally, you can get additional information on the application process at the links below. Note there is a number to call for support – 866-569-3522.
- The Health Resources and Services Administration has developed a Fact Sheet on how providers can apply for the PRF – https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/provider-relief-fund-medicaid-chip-factsheet.pdf – which includes a toll-free number, 866-569-3522, to call for support.
- There are also some general instructions that have been developed on how to apply for the PRF – https://chameleoncloud.io/review/3016-5ec704315a620/prod as well as a guide on how to confirm the information that is prepopulated with information entered during the TIN (Social Security Number for workers) validation process – https://chameleoncloud.io/review/3047-5edf10284b5fb/prod.
- The Department of Health and Human Services also has a website – https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/cares-act-provider-relief-fund/for-providers/index.html – which includes a webinar on how to apply for the PRF along with written instructions.