Workers’ Compensation

Every year thousands of 1199 members have work-related injuries, many of them serious and disabling.  Because these are work related injuries, you are entitled to benefits – depending on what state you work in.

In Connecticut, this process is governed by the the Connecticut Workers’ Compensation Act and other related laws. For a guide to the process created by and for 1199 members, please click on one of the links below:

In Connecticut, the union has the capacity to assist and represent all injured members, including appearances at Informal and Pre-formal Hearings before the Workers’ Compensation Commission.

Additional Resource Links

In Rhode Island, the workers’ compensation process is overseen by the Rhode Island Department of Labor & Training’s (DLT) Workers’ Compensation division.  For basic information, click here to review a downloadable pamphlet created by the DLT, or visit the Workers’ Compensation website by clicking here.  For advice on your workers’ compensation claim and/or legal referrals to help you through the process of your claim, you can call the union office at (401) 457-5099.


  1. Report your injury to your supervisor and fill out all injury reports, making copies for yourself.
  2. Seek immediate medical attention at any doctor provided by your employer. After your first doctor appointment you have the right to see the doctor of your choice if  he/she are in the Workers Compensation Provider Network.
  3. Explain to the doctor that this is a work injury and tell him/her all of the pain you are experiencing i.e. neck, back, leg…, even if the pain is mild. Leave nothing out.
  4. Be aware of what you tell your doctor. If you know your back pain comes from lifting and transferring your total care patients, don’t tell him you woke up in the middle of the night with back pain. That is what he will put in the report and the insurance company will deny your claim. Tell your doctor about the heavy lifting that you do as a requirement of your job duties.
  5. Ask the doctor give you a copy of all he sends to the insurance company.
  6. Bring the work disability slip that the doctor gives you to your supervisor. Have them make a copy for themselves and you keep the original for your records.
  7. If the insurance company sends you a FORM-43 or a FORM-36, notify us immediately, as that means they are contesting the claim or stopping benefits.
  8. Save all correspondence the insurer sends to you. Do not throw anything away.

If you have any problem, call us before you talk to the insurance adjuster.

Even if you do these things, the insurer might still deny your claim. However, if you do all the above, it will make it easier to speed along the process and lay the groundwork for a successful resolution of your claim.

If you have additional questions email our Workman’s Comp Organizers, Alison Sylvia at or call 860-549-1199.

Comments are closed.